Rock Hunter Fact Sheet
2012 - 2013 Season
Ogle county, 3 miles south of Oregon IL. on IL. Hwy. 2
Huntable acres: Squirrel, archery deer & turkey - approx. 580 acres; shotgun
& muzzleloader deer - approx. 1,620 acres. The site is composed mainly
of upland forest with wooded ridges and deep ravines interspersed with hill
prairie and old fields.
1, - Sept. 30
Area Reg's - Quota
in Zone A Only
||Oct 1 - Jan 10
Reg's - Quota
||See (1) Below, Zone A & B
||Oct 1 - Jan 10
Reg's - Quota
Zone A Only
||1st: Nov. 16 -18
2nd: Nov 29, 30 Dec 1, 2
50 hunters per day
50 hunters per day
||Dec.7 - 9
|Deer - CWD
||Dec. 29, 30, 31 & Jan. 1, 2012
Jan. 13 - 15, 2012
||30 hunters at one time
Deer archery & Turkey archery will be closed during both shotgun
deer seasons and the muzzleloader deer season.
Hunters must possess a permit issued specifically for Castle Rock S.P.,
for the season they are hunting, to hunt this site.
All regulations found in the Illinois Wildlife Code, Federal Regulations, and
Administrative Orders will apply unless area regulations are more restrictive.
IT SHALL BE
- To construct or to use
any type of tree stand, screw-in steps, spikes, cleats, ladder, climbing aids,
etc. using nails, screws, wire, or any device which pierces or cuts the bark
of the tree. Stands must be portable and may be left unattended from Sept.
15th through Jan 31st. All stands and flagging materials must be removed by Feb. 1. Stands left must be marked with the hunter's name,
address, and phone number. Only one stand per person allowed.
- For any person to consume
any alcoholic beverage, including beer and wine, while on the area for the
purpose of hunting.
- To hunt in any area
not designated as open to hunting.
- For any person to park
except at a designated parking area.
- To enter onto any private
property, for any reason, without first obtaining permission from the owner
of the property.
- For any person to drive
deer, or participate in a deer drive, at any time (includes all deer seasons)
on this site.
- To place or use any
bait, attractant, lure, etc. that may be licked or ingested, etc.; or, to
use any type of item that generates heat.
SQUIRREL, DEER ARCHERY & TURKEY ARCHERY
- Squirrel hunting is
only allowed in zone A and only with a shotgun or bow
and arrow. Quota - Only 20 squirrel hunters will be allowed in the hunting area at any one time; no more than 15 signed-in at any one time in the lot on IL State Route 2 and no more than 5 signed-in at one time in the hunter parking lot on Ridge Road. Squirrel hunters may only park in these 2 lots.
- Hunter Quota Totals - A limited number of archery hunters (dee and/or turkey) will be allowed on the site (signed-in) at one time. Each parking lot has a maximum hunter quota listed at the parking lot and NO MORE than that number of hunters my be signed-in at any one time into that parking lot (hunters MUST be parking in the lot where they sign-in). Parking along township roads is not permitted. Lot A = 4 vehicles; Lot B = 12 hunters; Lot C = 15 hunters; Lot D = 5 hunters.
- All hunters are required
to sign in & out and report harvest on the check
station sign-in sheets located in the hunter parking lots.
- Sign-in is on a first
come-first serve basis and hunters may not arrive earlier than 2 hours before
legal hunting time.
- Archery deer and turkey hunting will be closed during all Deer Firearm Season. On site submission of ALL archery deer heads along with corresponding harvest information is required within 48 hours of harvest ot test for the presence of Chronic Wasting Disease.
AREA REGULATIONS: FIREARM, MUZZLELOADER, LATE WINTER SEASONS:
- Hunters may apply by
selecting Castle Rock State Park as their choice of hunting area on their
Firearm or Muzzleloader Deer permit application. Applications
are to be submitted to, and will be processed by, the Springfield Permit Office.
All permits will be issued as either sex.
- Hunters with Castle
Rock Firearm and Muzzleloader Deer Permits
must check in and deposit their hunting license by 5:00 am
or their permit is invalid for that day. Registration will be at the Castle
Rock SP workshop and begin at 4:30am. Vacancies remaining at 5:00am will be
filled by a drawing to allocate standby permits. Stand-by permits are issued
as being valid for the day of issuance only; are site specific for Castle
Rock. No other permits are required. Non-resident
standby hunters are required to have a non-resident hunting license and current
- CWD Season: CWD season permits may be applied for only at http://www.dnr.illinois.gov. The application period will be publicly announced. Unallocated permits will be available for sale over-the-counter from participating vendors. A maximum or 30 permits will be sold for the entire season and unfilled permits form any other season will not be valid. Stand-by permits will not be available. Hunter with a site-specific permit must sign in/out daily via self-serve check station at the Castle Rock State Park workshop. Hunters may sing into any available parking lot/area on a first come/first serve basis.
- Hunting is allowed with
any type of weapon that is legal for statewide deer hunting during the specific
season you are hunting.
- All deer harvested must be checked in/reported to the site prior to leaving the site AND checked-in/reported as outlined in the statewide rules and regulations for reporting deer harvested during the regular statewide deer season.
For more information
about Castle Rock State Park hunting programs contact: Castle Rock State
Park, 1365 W. Castle Rd., Oregon, IL. 61061 or phone (815)732-7329 between the
hours of 8 am and 4 p.m.
Equal opportunity to participate
in programs of the Illinois Department of Natural Resources (IDNR) and those
funded by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and other agencies is available
to all individuals regardless of race, national origin, disability, age, religion
or other non-merit factors. If you believe you have been discriminated against,
contact the funding source's civil rights office and/or the Equal Employment
Opportunity Officer, IDNR, 1 Natural Resources Way, Springfield, IL 62702: 217/785-0067;