Des Plaines State Fish & Wildlife Area Hunter Fact Sheet
2013 - 2014 Season
24621 N. River Road, Wilmington, IL 60481
INTRODUCTION: The Department of Natural Resources is responsible for providing outdoor recreation opportunities for the residents of the State. Of particular concern is providing safe hunting areas on public lands throughout the State. This Hunter Fact Sheet contains information relating to the hunting programs at the Des Plaines State Fish and Wildlife Area. The majority of the area is open habitats such as native prairie, cool season grasses and agricultural fields. Woodlands, wetlands & river (Des Plaines & Kankakee) frontage account for the balance of the site.
DIRECTIONS: 8 miles south of I-80 on I-55, take Wilmington Exit #241, then right two miles.
DESCRIPTION: Total Acres - 5400 Huntable Acres - 3500 Habitat Types - Timber - 1550, Grasslands - 3400, Wetlands - 380
|Program||Season||Hours||Special rules/permit requirements|
|Pheasant-Permit||Oct. 30 - Nov 21 & Nov 27 - Dec 29||9 a.m. to 4 p.m||Site permit required. See below.|
|Pheasant, Quail, Rabbit - Non Permit||Jan 1 -5||9 a.m. to 4 p.m.||150 hunters per day. See below.|
|Dove- Permit||Sept. 1 - 5||Noon - 5 p.m.||Site permit required. Non-Toxic shot required. See below.|
|Dove - Non Permit||Sept. 6 - 30||Noon - Sunset||Non-Toxic shot required. See below.|
|Deer - Archery||Statewide||Statewide||See below.|
|Deer - Firearm||First firearm deer season only||Statewide||Permit required. See below.|
|Coyote||Day after Archery deer closes - Feb. 28||Statewide||Permit required. Shotguns with shotshells only. See below.|
IMPORTANT Areas open to hunting & dog training are also open to field trials. Use extreme caution to avoid user group conflicts. Parking is only allowed in open numbered IDNR parking lots. Not all parking lots will be open during all hunting seasons. No parking is allowed along roadways or in any other areas.
SITE REGULATIONS: (Shotguns cannot be capable of firing more than three consecutive shots.)
1. Pheasant Permit
- Permit applications are available on the IDNR website: www.dnr.state.il.us/.
REGISTER: 7 am - 8 am. Closed Monday’s & Tuesday’s, Youth hunt day, First firearm deer season & Christmas Day. Thanksgiving Day closed at 1:00 pm. Shot size: lead #5 or smaller, steel #3 or smaller. Blaze orange cap & upper garment & IDNR patch required . Archers must use flu-flu arrows only. Bag limit: Two pheasants of either sex. Pheasants must posses an IDNR tag before removing from area. Standby available. Hunters required to hunt in assigned area for first hour.
2. Pheasant, Quail, Rabbit - Non Permit - REGISTER: 7 am - 8 am. Shot size: lead #5 or smaller, steel #3 or smaller. Blaze orange cap & upper garment & IDNR patch required. Archers must use flu-flu arrows only. Bag limit: Two pheasants of either sex. Pheasants must posses an IDNR tag before removing from area. Statewide bag limits apply for quail & rabbit. Hunters required to hunt in assigned area for first hour.
3. Dove - Permit - Permit allocated through state lottery. REGISTER: 9 am - 11 am. Permit void after 11 am. Vacancies filled by sign in sheet/drawing at 11 am. Must wear a Dept. issued back patch & hunt within 10 feet of marked locations. No loaded guns to or from the hunting area. No guns allowed in field when retrieving birds. Shot size: # 6 or smaller steel or other non-toxic approved shot.
4. Dove - Non Permit - First come first served. Must hunt within 10 feet of marked locations. No loaded guns to or from the hunting area. No guns allowed in field when retrieving birds. Shot size: # 6 or smaller steel or other non-toxic approved shot.
5. Deer - Archery - Open Monday’s & Tuesday’s during Pheasant Permit & Non Permit season. A free site permit must be obtained online at http://dnr.state.il.us/windshieldcard/ & displayed in the windshield while on site. Failure to do so will result in loss of hunting privileges. Harvest must be checked according to statewide regulations. Only portable non-piercing tree stands/steps allowed, must be removed daily.
6. Deer - Firearm - Permits allocated through state lottery. Hunters to register by 5 am each day of season. Vacancies will be filled by drawing from any person with a valid hunting license, habitat stamp & valid F.O.I.D. card. Standby hunters will be issued a one-day site specific deer permit & charged $5.00. Hunters must check out daily & report harvest. Harvest must also be checked according to statewide regulations. Only portable non-piercing tree stands/steps allowed, must be removed daily.
7. Coyote - Free permit to be obtained online at http://dnr.state.il.us/windshieldcard/ & displayed in windshield while on site. No dogs allowed. Shotguns with shotshells only. Electronic calls allowed. All coyote harvests must be removed from site.
Equal opportunity to participate in programs of the IL Dept. of Natural Resources (IDNR) and those funded by the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service and other agencies is available to all individuals regardless of race, sex, national origin, disability, age, religion or other non-merit factors. If you believe you have been discriminated against, contact the funding source’s civil rights office and/or the Equal Opportunity Officer, IDNR, 524 S. 2nd, Springfield, IL 62701-1787; (217) 785-0067; TTY (217) 782-9175.