Morrison Rockwood Hunter Fact Sheet
2012 - 2013 Season
MAP - Deer | MAP - Squirrel | MAP - Archery Deer
Whiteside County, 2 miles north of Morrison, east of IL Rt. 78 North.
Description: Total Acres: 1152 Huntable Acres: Deer (Archery/Firearm) - 950; Dove - 10, Squirrel - 900
The hunting area is comprised of timber woodlots, brushy draws, and fencelines interspersed with open grasslands with corn, milo, and sunflower food patches. Topography consists of gently rolling hills with several gullies of which some contain permanent water.
Available Game Species:
|Species||Dates||Shooting Hours||Limits||Special Regulations|
|12N - 5pm
|See site map for restricted areas.Shot size limit.|
|Squirrel||November 1st through
Thursday before 1st firearm deer season
|Statewide||Statewide||Shot size limit. See site map for restricted areas.|
1st 4 segments of statewide season
Site specific permit required. See the site map for restricted areas.
|Deer-Archery||Open the day following the close of the 1st firearm deer season then follows statewide regulations to the end of season.||Statewide||Statewide|
|Deer-Gun||First segment of the firearm deer season only.||Statewide||Statewide||Daily hunter quota
Special permit required.
It Shall Be Unlawful:
- Firearm deer hunters can obtain a site specific permit, which will be issued through the Permit Office in Springfield; 25 permits will be issued. Permits valid for Whiteside Co. will not be valid at Morrison Rockwood State Park.
- Permit holders are required to check-in and deposit their hunting license by 5:00AM each morning or they will lose their permit to the daily drawing of standby hunters.
- If the hunter quota is not filled each day of the firearm season, it will be filled by a daily drawing held at the area checkstation beginning at 5:00AM.
- Standby hunters must purchase a site specific daily permit ($5.00), and may only hunt on the day they were selected.
- Hunting shall be with either shotgun or muzzle loader only, according to statewide regulations.
- Squirrel hunters must sign-in and sign-out at check-in areas.
- Shotguns; #3 or smaller steel, # 5 or smaller for lead, tungsten or bismuth , 22 rimfire rifles, muzzeloading black powder rifles and archery tackle using flu-flu arrows are permitted for squirrel hunting.
- Only zones 1,2,3,4 and 5 (see site map) are open to squirrel hunting.
- Site will be closed to archery hunting Nov 1st thru the end of the 1st firearm deer season AND during the 2nd segment of the firearm deer season.
- No special permit is needed; however, archery hunters must register with name and date prior to hunting and sign out and record their harvest at the designated zone check station(s) upon completion of the hunt.
- It shall be unlawful to construct or to use any tree stand that utilizes nails, screws, wire or any device which pierces or cuts the bark of the tree on which it is installed. Tree stands can be left till the end of the statewide Archery Deer season provided that the hunters name and address are labeled and affixed to the stand(s).
- Site will be open for the 1st four segments of the spring turkey season only (no 5th season). Site specific permits will be issued thru statewide lottery at the Springfield Permit Office.
- Hunters are required to sign-in and sign-out at designated locations and site will be divided in 6 hunting zones with no more than 2 permit hunters per zone. 12 permits per season (See site turkey hunting map).
- Hunters can accompanied by 1 additional non-hunter.
For further information contact; Site Superintendent, Morrison Rockwood State Park, 18750 Lake Rd., Morrison, IL 61270; Telephone: (815) 772-4708.
Equal opportunity to participate in programs of the IlDNR and those funded by the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service is available to all individuals regardless of race, sex, national origin, disability, age, religion or other non-merit factors. If you believe you’ve been discriminated against, contact the funding source’s civil rights office and/or the Equal Employment Opportunity Officer, IDNR One Natural Resources Way, Springfield, Il 62702-1271: 217-785-0067. Rev. 7/2007