www.dnr.illinois.gov

Pat Quinn, Governor

DNR Links Skip to Content Skip to State Links

 IDNR Home
 IDNR Home (new)
 Agency Offices
 Disabled Outdoors
 Freedom of Information Act
 Get Involved
 Grant Info
 Great Lakes Restoration
 Hunting
 Fishing
 License / Permit / Register
 Kids & Education
 Law Enforcement
 Mandatory Safety Programs
 Lodges / Leasing
 More Links
 Outdoor Recreation
 Parks & Recreation
 Press Releases
 Publications
 State Museums
 World Shooting & Recreational Complex
 DNR A to Z

 DNR
 Illinois
Illinois Gallery Website
Enjoy Illinois

Volo Bog Surrounding Area  


VOLO BOG STATE NATURAL AREA
28478 W. BRANDENBURG ROAD
INGLESIDE, ILLINOIS 60041
815/344-1294

TOWNS/VILLAGES NEARBY or SURROUNDING:

VOLO

FOX LAKE
MCHENRY

WAUCONDA
RICHMOND


HOTELS/MOTELS:

PARADISE MOTEL
3309 N CHAPEL HILL RD
MCHENRY 815/344-3131

RAMADA INN
4100 W SHAMROCK LN
MCHENRY 815/344-5500

 

SUPER 8 MOTEL
110 S ROUTE 31
MCHENRY 815/344-9200

WAUCONDA MOTEL
26671 N HWY 12
WAUCONDA 847/526-2101

DAYS INN RICHMOND
11200 RT 12
RICHMOND 815/678-4711

GAZEBO BED/BRKFST
10314 EAST STREET
RICHMOND 815/678-2505


RESTAURANTS:

APPLEBEE'S
NORTH RT 31 (BY TARGET)
MCHENRY

ALEX'S
3709 WEST ELM
MCHENRY

BERNIES GAR. & DINER 4405 WEST ELM
MCHENRY

GREEN STREET CAFE
1219 NORTH GREEN ST
MCHENRY

MCDONALDS
522 SOUTH RT 31
MCHENRY

PIZZA HUT
4401 WEST RT 120
MCHENRY

PLUM GARDEN
3917 W MAIN STREET
MCHENRY

VILLAGE SQUIRE
4512 W ELM STREET
MCHENRY

WARSAW INN
217 NORTH RT 31
MCHENRY

WINDHILL PANCAKE
3307 W ELM STREET
MCHENRY

LONGHORN STEAKHSE
615 W RAND ROAD
LILYMOOR

MCDONALDS
31699 NORTH RT 12
VOLO

 


MUSEUMS AND HISTORICAL SITES:

MUSEUMS

1. Lakes Region Historical Society
817 Main Street-P.O. Box 240
Antioch, Illinois 60002 (847)395-7337

The restored 1892 Antioch grade school accommodates the collection of the Lakes Region Historical Society. Objects in changeable theme exhibits pertain to local lore and history of the Chain of Lakes area.


2. McHenry County Historical Society
6422 Main Street
Union, Illinois 60180 (815)923-2267

McHenry County history illustrated through four large galleries in the 1870 expanded Union grade school. Exhibits contain artifacts which represent home life, farming, industrialism, and the military. Also featured is a restored 1847 log cabin, a 20th century tourist cabin, and an 1895 one-room schoolhouse. The research library contains postcards, diaries, ledgers, photographs, plat maps, abstracts, reference books, and biographical obituaries, and cemetery files.


3. Lake County Discovery Museum-Lakewood Forest Preserve
27277 Forest Preserve Drive
Wauconda, Illinois 60084 (847)968-3400

Hands-on exhibits that highlight the history of Lake County in a fun learning environment. The Museum also displays the nation's largest permanent exhibition on the history and significance of postcards. Changing exhibits in the special exhibition gallery are designed to delight visitors of all ages and interests. A local artist gallery displays fine works of art from talented Chicagoland artists. As well as a variety of programs and events for adults, families and school groups that educate and entertain.


4. Wauconda Township Historical Society
711 N. Main Street
Wauconda, Illinois 60084 (847)526-9303

Restored 1840's Cook Farmhouse exhibits the history of Wauconda through period room settings and interpretive displays. Interpreters tour visitors through the house, demonstrate weaving and other crafts. Designated historical site by Illinois State Historical Society.


5. Volo Auto Museum & Antique Malls
27582 Volo Village Road
Volo, Illinois 60073 (815)385-3644
6. Gold Pyramid House
37921 Dilley's Road
Wadsworth, Illinois 60083 (847)662-6666
7. Tempel Lipizzans, Tempel Farms
17000 Wadsworth Road
Wadsworth, Illinois 60083 (847)623-7272
8. Cuneo Museum and Gardens
1350 N. Milwaukee Ave.
Vernon Hills, Illinois 60061 (847)362-3042
LANDMARK SITES:

TO BE VIEWED FROM THE OUTSIDE ONLY UNLESS IT IS A PUBLIC BUILDING OR SITE.

NATIONAL REGISTER OF HISTORIC PLACES:

1. The Count's House
3803 Waukegan Rd.
McHenry
2. Memorial Hall
10308 Main Street
Richmond 1908
3. Lucien Boneparte Covell Hse
5805 Broadway
Richmond 1900


LANDMARK SITES WITH DESCRIPTIONS:

1. Muller Chapel (built 1878)
Wilmot & Ringwood Rd.
Johnsburg/McHenry

Widowed Mary Nett Miller built the chapel in 1878 in fulfillment of a promise to the Blessed Mother if she could raise her family "in the fear and love of God". Family services and weddings were held here. (This was built on their farm.)


2. St. John's Church Site (built 1842)
2303 West Church
Johnsburg/McHenry

The site of where this present third church (of Gothic architecture) was of importance to the first exclusively German Catholic Community of Johnsburg who recreated their German roots here. The first structure was a log cabin (1842), and subsequently 2 more structures were built on the same site.


3. Richmond Mill Site (built 1844)
5604 Mill St.
Richmond

The mill, built in 1844, by Cotting and Purdy was 35 x 40', 2 ˝ stories high. It was destroyed by fire in 1925. The plaque is on the site. It was an example of early water-powered, grain and flour mill. It was one of the earliest in the area. It is presently a restaurant.


4. Charles Cotting's #90 (built 1844)
Mill & Main St.
Richmond

When Cotting and his wife came to Richmond, which he helped lay out and plat, there were but 2 log cabins in place. This building with stone foundation was across from his mill and probably was a storeroom at one time. This house is thought to be the oldest frame house in Richmond.


5. Charles Cotting House (built 1865)
East Mill St.
Richmond

Excellent example of a well-to-do merchant's frame home in the Italianate style with an ornate trim including a square cupola. Built in 1865 and was occupied by Cotting until he died in 1883 and in continue family ownership for over 100 years.


6. Sarah Gibbs House (1886)
10313 West St.
Richmond

This unique home is one of few examples of Second Empire architecture in the area with its mansard roof. It has 7 gables which is an innovative variation of this style. Widow Sarah Gibbs had the house built at the age of 71. Her husband, Herman, was a decendent of a Revolutionary War general and was the town's inn-keeper. The stained glass windows across the street in the church were dedicated to Sarah by her granddaughter.


7. Community Church of Richmond(built 1902)
5714 Broadway
Richmond

This turn-of-the-century church is the only original church in Richmond still standing. Beautiful stained glass memorial windows highlight the first settlers and important people of the Village.


Parks & Recreation

Illinois Dept.of Natural Resources
Office of Land Management
One Natural Resources Way
Springfield, IL 62702
E-mail
Becoming an Outdoors Woman
Interpretive Programs
State Park Magazine
Website Map
FAQ's
Visitor Comment Card
Recreation.gov

Copyright© 2014 Department of Natural Resources
Accessibility    Contact    FAQs    Podcasts    Privacy    Social Networking