The Weldon Springs Company
After the Chautauquas
When the Chautauquas faded away, Weldon Springs
continued to host the people of DeWitt County. Lincoln Weldon permitted its
use for the DeWitt County 4-H Fair, Boy Scout Camp Hatetokwitit and Easter Sunrise
Services. Annual picnics and family reunions continued on the grounds, as did
fishing and swimming. Upon his death, Lincoln Weldon bequeathed the original
forty acres and an additional ten acres to the City of Clinton. Weldon Springs
became a city park in 1936.
Weldon Springs was purchased by the State of
Illinois in 1948 for $20,000. At the close of its 1st century, Weldon
Springs now comprises 442 acres including a 29-acre lake with two miles of
shoreline. 10,000 people camp at "The Springs" annually, while more
than 400,000 enjoy the grounds for fishing, picnicking, hiking and relaxing.
Return to Postcards